Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Trip to the ER!

Well this is an interesting start to a vacation! :) When we flew in, we got 3 out of 4 bags but our beloved pack n' play was missing. Southwest still hasn't found it... so until then Gabe is sleeping in our bed, which means none of us are sleeping real well. Yikes!

Second, I've been having some struggles with breastfeeding and was feeling an infection coming on, so we went to the Urgent Care here. That by itself is a pain, because in the Army you have to get prior authorization unless you are heading to the ER. Well, he prescribed me an antibiotic and we were really looking forward to hanging out with Torey last night. Ha- I had a real serious allergic reaction to it! About an hour after I took it, I started breaking out with hives EVERYWHERE- within 10 minutes I was COVERED, super super red, itchy, and lightheaded. Torey got here and was only here a minute before I had to go to the ER! The roads were TERRIBLE- VERY icy, but we drove as fast as we could.

As soon I walked in, they put me in a wheelchair and took me back. They made Aaron go do paperwork and in just a minute or two, there were about 8 doctors and nurses in my room. They gave me an epi-pen shot in my stomach, an IV with meds, a shot of an antihistamine, and hooked me up to a heart monitor. The epi-pen feeling was similar to the magnesium I was on when I had Gabe- it makes you very flushed and hot and you feel VERY VERY disconnected from everything- my head wasn't working right, I couldn't get my thoughts to come out of my mouth, and my limbs were floating away- ha! The shot works by speeding up your body systems (heart rate, metabolism, etc.) with a surge of adrenaline so that your body will process and exit the antibiotic that caused the raction. All in all, though, I started feeling better in minutes and was able to come home that night. The dr's warned us that a second reaction of any penicillin-based or similar antibiotic would be MUCH worse and that if we hadn't gone in then, we could have risked my throat and tounge swelling and closing. We were blessed it wasn't any worse... now if we could figure out Gabe's antibiotic situation (we forgot to refrigerate it), we could focus on VACATIONING!! :)

1 comments:

Mily said...

Laura, I'm so sorry this happened! Hope you are feeling much better though! What a vacation!